The Bible in one picture

George
Site Admin

The Bible in one picture

Post by George »

Chris Harrison and Christoph Römhild recently put together a database of cross references found in the bible which linked concepts, locations and people found in different parts of the text. They found 63,779 cross references in total and struggled to find some way to display their findings. Eventually they opted for a multi- coloured arc diagram and it is absolutely mind blowing. I've known for over 4 decades that the Bible is perfect and breathtakingly beautiful in structure, but seeing it in an image like this is, well, I have no words.

The bar graph that runs along the bottom represents all the chapters in the Bible, starting with Genesis 1 on the left. Books alternate in colour between light and dark grey, with the first book of the Old and New Testaments in white. The length of each bar denotes the number of verses in that chapter. Each of the 63,779 cross references found in the Bible are depicted by a single arc.

The first thing I noticed was that the longest white line along the bottom was Psalm 119 and it is the pivotal point of the whole arc. Psalm 119 has 176 verses and the word of God is mentioned in every single verse. Intelligence is behind creation, not chaos.

bible1.jpg
bible1.jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 14 times