Landscapes

George
Site Admin

Landscapes

Post by George »

I was driving over to get the early morning ferry across to Handa Island, and it had rained the whole way. Just as we were driving past Loch Stack the rain stopped and the wind died. Wow, stopped the car, ran down to the shore and grabbed this photo of the loch with Arkle in the background. The swans made the image. Shot with Fuji gear.

210720-lochstackns.jpg
210720-lochstackns.jpg (432.51 KiB) Viewed 37 times
George
Site Admin

Re: Landscapes

Post by George »

High tide at the mouth of the River Brora, just across from the harbour. It isn't often you see water like a mirror up here.

HighTidens.jpg
HighTidens.jpg (545.32 KiB) Viewed 31 times
George
Site Admin

Post by George »

We were driving back from the west coast one evening just as the sun was setting and wow, perfect timing. Stopped the car, ran down to the shores of Loch Assynt and managed to get this photo of Ardvreck Castle while being eaten alive by midges.

lochassyntns.jpg
lochassyntns.jpg (558.58 KiB) Viewed 25 times
George
Site Admin

Post by George »

Carbisdale Castle in the Kyle of Sutherland. I was in an open canoe paddling down the Kyle to Bonar Bridge when this shot presented itself. There was a breeze that kept ruffling the water, and as the tide was going out I had to keep paddling upstream a couple of hundred yards, then float downstream with the current and wait for all the ripples to go away. Took me about half an hour and a lot of paddling to get the shot, but it was worth it. When it comes to reflections in water, you can ignore the rule of thirds with impunity. The Castle is on a vertical third so the image is balanced.

210613-carbisdalens.jpg
210613-carbisdalens.jpg (506.05 KiB) Viewed 18 times
George
Site Admin

Post by George »

This is Brora beach on a gorgeous winter day at sunset. This photo hasn't been photoshopped, this is pretty much how the photo came out of the camera. The tide had just gone out, the sand was wet making it perfect for reflections, and winter is renowed for superb golden light at sunset. It was taken hand held, and obviously I exposed for the highlights and then recomposed the image before taking the shot, which is why the houses are blacked out. Oh, I did add a lens flare to the sun for effect :smile:

This was the very first photo I ever took with a brand new Fuji 16-55mm lens, an absolutely first class piece of glass. Fuji are excellent.

brorabeachns.jpg
brorabeachns.jpg (456.38 KiB) Viewed 11 times
Idunno38

Post by Idunno38 »

All of your photos are beautiful, but I think this is my favorite so far... Absolutely gorgeous :love: